We put together a collection of hot weather tips, in an effort to help you stay cool over the next few really hot days. Some of them are clever . . . some of them not so much . . . and very few of them are actually useful. Here are a few:
1. Re-buckle your seat belt when you get out of your car, so that when you get back in, the metal buckle won’t be so hot it’ll burn you.
2. If your home’s HVAC system is struggling to keep your house cool, it’s could be a dirty filter so a simple changing could help.
3. Make sure your fan is switched to spin COUNTERCLOCKWISE to create a downdraft and push colder air toward you.
4. When you start driving, don’t roll down all the windows. Only roll down the driver’s and passenger’s windows, and the cross breeze will be much stronger.
5. If you’re wearing sandals, and you have to take them off, turn them over so they are face-down. That way, when you put them back on, your feet won’t burn.
6. This is a strange one, but put your suntan lotion in the fridge to enhance its cooling effects.
7. Put a few plastic bottles three-fourths full of water in the freezer. When the water is frozen, put the bottle in front of a fan and rotate when thawed.
8. It’s tempting to keep your windows open when it’s hot, but if you have no air conditioning, think about closing the windows and shades that are sun-facing. One person even suggested putting your car’s windshield shade over a window.
9. The easiest way to cool down in high heat is to dunk your shirt in water and then wear it. Of course, it depends WHERE YOU ARE . . . the wet t-shirt look is not always appropriate, and it’s not the most comfortable but it helps
10. My favorite…turn on the sprinkler in the front yard and play in it like you did when you were a kid, then drink a big glass of cold lemonade.
Just a few thoughts – Chris Kennedy